[sf-lug] [Noisebridge-discuss] about to purchase mini netbook

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at princessleia.com
Sun Nov 25 14:09:32 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Morgan. <morganw8-nb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm about to purchase a used Dell Inspiron Mini 1012.  Do you know of any
> problems or cautionary tales for these netbooks?  Should I run an LDXE or
> Xfce on it?
>
> Ram has been upgraded from 1GB to 2GB.
> Intel Atom Processor N450 (1.66GHz, 512K L2 Cache)
> 802.11n Wireless
> 250 GB HD
> 10.1 inch screen

I actively use the Dell mini9 which is pretty identical in specs but
has a smaller screen. I have 1G of RAM and am running Xubuntu (Xfce)
on it. It's not super fast and playback of flash can be choppy, but
it's fine for light duty stuff (web browsing, ssh, basic image
editing). The only caution is the broadcom chipset for wireless, but
it works fine with the standard proprietary drivers in Linux.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com