[sf-lug] ERROR: getaddrinfo: Name or service not known

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 13:24:44 PST 2012

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, Jim...

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

>     I don't have an answer, but I'll be interested in
> better understanding your command line:
> cje at rb:~$ rdesktop rds.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -f -a 16  -k en-us
> ^^^^^^^^^^--------your prompt, user cje on host rb
> ..........^^^^^^^^---------the  rdesktop  connects to Windows RDP host
> ...................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-------seems strange to me: [1]
> .......................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^--options [2]
>
> [1] I suppose one can use a sub-domain name with an IP address;
>     I've never tried it and my current set ups seem not to allow
>     me to try that exact syntax. If you've previously used that
>     exact syntax, okay.
>     I would have guessed  rdesktop cje at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (assumes
>     the same username on the remote host).

I have connected to the server in two ways:

cje at rb:~$ rdesktop rds.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -f -a 16  -k en-us

and

cje at rb:~$ rdesktop rds.domainname.com -f -a 16  -k en-us

domainname.com is of course not the real command.  I left out the real
server name because I *think* it might be stupid to put that on the
Internet.  Not sure.  Anyone accessing the server would still have to enter
a user name and a password, but why push my luck, especially since I am
such a newbie in this area.

> ERROR: getaddrinfo: Name or service not known
>     This seems to complain about rds.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and I wonder
> if you didn't mis-type, maybe it should be
> rds at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ??

No, no typo.  I usually just start my BASH terminal and hit the up arrow
until I come to the command that has always been successful in the past.

>     As to changing config files, here are a couple of good
> (if not best) practice suggestions:

Thanks for these suggestions.  I am a little wary of changing config files
until I have a better idea as to what is going on, and what might go wrong
if I change config files.

Thanks again for your thoughts, JIm.