[sf-lug] ERROR: getaddrinfo: Name or service not known

jim jim at well.com
Thu Nov 8 12:09:11 PST 2012

    I don't have an answer, but I'll be interested in
better understanding your command line:
cje at rb:~$ rdesktop rds.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -f -a 16  -k en-us
^^^^^^^^^^--------your prompt, user cje on host rb
..........^^^^^^^^---------the  rdesktop  connects to Windows RDP host
...................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-------seems strange to me: [1]
.......................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^--options [2]

[1] I suppose one can use a sub-domain name with an IP address;
    I've never tried it and my current set ups seem not to allow
    me to try that exact syntax. If you've previously used that
    exact syntax, okay.
    I would have guessed  rdesktop cje at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (assumes
    the same username on the remote host).
[2] -f  specifies fullscreen mode
    -a 16  specifies color depth
    -k en-us  specifies keyboard map

ERROR: getaddrinfo: Name or service not known
    This seems to complain about rds.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and I wonder
if you didn't mis-type, maybe it should be
rds at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ??

    As to changing config files, here are a couple of good
(if not best) practice suggestions:
* Make a copy of the config file you plan to modify;
  give it a name with the last four characters .SAF
  if the config file resides in a dedicated directory
  such as /etc/avahi/ then keep the safe copy there
  $ pwd
  /etc/avahi
  $ cp avahi-daemon.conf avahi-daemon.conf.SAF
* In editing the conf file, add a comment at the top line
  (or on the second line if the top line begins #!...)
  with the date, the word CHANGED, and a brief description
  of the change.
* At the spot in the file that you make a change, put a
  comment line immediately above the change that begins
  with the date, the word CHANGED, and a brief description
  of the change.
! Note that you may make several changes in the file, so
  the description you write at the top of the file will be
  different from each of the individual descriptions.
* Create a file that stores your maintenance log and in it
  record the date, filename and path, and brief description,
  all on a single line, for each change you make.
* You surely have a regular maintenance schedule, so at the
  time you dutifully do your backups and cleanup, use the
  command
  $ grep CHANGED /etc/* /etc/*/*
  to remind yourself of what you've changed.

    I hope this helps, if no one else, at least me after
others correct, refine, improve....