[sf-lug] [JOB POSTING] Linux System Administrator, Berkeley, $55K +

jim jim at systemateka.com
Fri Oct 12 11:21:17 PDT 2012

We are a data-driven technology startup applying statistical machine
learning to large-scale financial prediction problems. You will work
with small teams in a research atmosphere alongside other top-notch
talent, including professors at premier universities, PhD's, and
successful tech entrepreneurs. We approach problems collaboratively;
you will have frequent interaction with the researchers, officers,
and founders.

Our research cluster and production environments are expanding, and
we need a Linux guru to maintain existing systems and lead the
infrastructure growth. Self-motivated problems solvers who can learn
about, evaluate, and deploy new technologies will excel in this role.
Ideal candidates will have a range of experience: both purchasing
and assembling machines; designing and configuring networks;
designing and performance-tuning data infrastructure; and more.

Our company, Voleon, is located in downtown Berkeley, with easy
access to all forms of transit.

Responsibilities:
• Support internal development and QA environment
• Install and maintain Linux and other software packages
• Specify and maintain computers, networking hardware, machine room
  infrastructure, phone system, etc.
• Design, deploy, and administer state-of-the-art research clusters,
  including GPGPU nodes
• Design and enhance monitoring systems for production equipment
  and research clusters
• Configure, tune, and maintain PostgreSQL and MySQL databases,
  as data warehouses and in production environment
• Propose new technologies to address specific business needs

Qualifications:
• Experience managing remotely hosted production systems
• UNIX guru, especially Linux; other UNIXen including Mac OS X a plus
• Scripting language skills (Python, bash, shutils, etc)
• Experience with research computing / hybrid CPU-GPU clusters a plus
• Experience with large-scale, real-time, concurrent systems a plus
• Experience with distributed data systems (Hadoop, Cassandra, Riak,
  GridSQL, etc.) a plus
• Background in financial systems a plus
• Live in or near Berkeley; be willing to come in occasionally at
  odd hours

Benefits include 401k, health/vision/dental insurance with employer
contribution, plus vacation.  Compensation starts at 55k+bonus.
Interested applicants are encouraged to send a cover letter and
resume to working at voleon.com