[sf-lug] trustworthy repair shop

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sat Oct 6 16:38:29 PDT 2012

On 10/06/2012 03:11 PM, Ken Shaffer wrote:
> Bobbie,
> Before diving into the hardware, check the BIOS version, and what's
> available from HP.
> Some HP BIOS revisions deal with fan control and overheating
> problems.   Reflashing
> the BIOS should be easier than disassembly of the laptop, but sadly,
> HP frequently supplies the new BIOS as a Windows executable.    Ask
> for the BIOS update from any repair shop you choose if you can't do it
> yourself (If you machine still boots Windows, it should be trivial).
> Ken
>
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Bobbie Sellers
> <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com <mailto:bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>>
> wrote:
>
>         Hi LUGgers,
>             It seems I have a problem with my notebook over-heating ...

     Thanks Ken but the machine does not boot Windows.  and I don't want
to overheat
it re-installing Vista 32 Home Edition.  I did BIOS updates on it when I
still had
Windows installed.   The machine likely as the various on line advisers
indicate
has the heat sink plugged up with whatever.  At the last meeting it
shutdown several
times  until it could not be re-started.
     Earlier today I had a 90+ degree Celcius reading from the temperature
monitor I had installed earlier.  This is with it sitting on the big but
largely
ineffective dual fan cooler.
     Cleaning out the Heat Sink requires complete dismantling of the
machine and while I am sure I could take it apart I am not sure I
could put it back together again in working order.
      Oh and the guy interested in how your Chumby works has
sent me an e-mail indicating he will try to attend.

     Bobbie