[sf-lug] resolver problem

jim jim at systemateka.com
Mon Aug 27 12:47:34 PDT 2012

    (Maybe things have changed since last I looked.)
    I've spent time, occasionally, looking through pages
of search engine results and other sources trying to
learn how to set up a DNS server. There's lots of info,
but what I've seen does not give me what I need to do
the job. There are lots of concepts, but they don't
relate to creating the proper files. There are tutorials,
but they are specific to particular problems that are
not a simple, general purpose DNS resolving system.
    What I'd like to know is what software to get and
what configuration files to create on the server side
so that a client request to resolve a domain name gets
access to the requested server. If necessary, what
client-side configuration files to create to access my
home-brewed DNS server.
    I believe it's easy to do if one knows what to do.