[sf-lug] what is kondemand and how to put it in a cage?

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Aug 17 12:53:18 PDT 2012

On 08/17/2012 10:55 AM, jim wrote:
> My machine has slowed waaaay down.
>
> $ top
> shows kondemand hopping in and out of about sixth
> place in the list, and in the form of
> kondemand/0
> kondemand/1
> (separate processes running often simultaneously).
>
> $ man kondemand
>   No manual entry for kondemand
>

> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/anyone-knows-what-is-kondemand-759463/
> this forum's comments are largely the same as mine
> (wtf?), with suggestions to use a web search engine
> to get info and replies that the web search engine
> pretty much circularly refers to this topic.
>      The irritation is that kondemand seems to take
> 20% CPU time.
>
>      One user claims he's shut down his laptop and
> removed the battery and then restored everything and
> rebooted with the result that kondemand then takes
> only 1% of CPU time.
>
>      Anybody know what is kondemand?

         Not that I have a real notion but it seems to be related
to controlling CPU speed.

	Searching quickly found this which tells how to
use the command properly.

<http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Linux/Administration/A_3492-Avoiding-CPU-speed-scaling-in-modern-Linux-distributions-Running-CPU-at-full-speed-Tips.html>

     Hope it helps.

     Bobbie Sellers