[sf-lug] For John S. What is happening inside Microsoft...

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 9 09:34:21 PDT 2012

On 08/09/2012 09:15 AM, jim wrote:

> (my response to the linked article)
>      I worked in a place that had similar "stack ranking"
> policies. There it didn't seem to affect morale, which
> was notably good.
>      As a contrast,, the former CEO of Costco remarked
> that culture is not the most important thing, it's the
> only thing. This refers to the zeitgeist of the community
> of employees.
>      In short, I think the criticism is better directed at
> upper management's policies that neglect to nurture each
> engineer and to work to match each to an appropriate task
> area.

     I think the point of the article is that the MS upper management
is not doing the job the way you describe but instead perverting the
idea.   I hope you read all three pages of the article.  It describes
teams working against each other to slow down project completion.

     The Surface internals design is surely the result of such work.

     The exterior is fine from the little we know.  Some correspondents
have suggested the models will both be HD High Density TV capable
at 1280 x 800 for the consumer model and HDTV 1920 x 1080.  I
don´t have a clear source for this just MS remarks that were made
pre-Retina.  Android tablets are more competition for Apple than
this will be IMO.  When the Android machines get the benefits of
the new higher resolution displays they may run both iPads and
Surface out of the marketplace.

     Bobbie