[sf-lug] For John S. What is happening inside Microsoft...

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Aug 8 11:23:33 PDT 2012

At a recent meeting John Strazzarino asked a question about that ugly
company and this is where
I got the information to reply to him.
It was originally a post on my Team Amiga Mailing List.

Analyzing one of American corporate history’s greatest mysteries—the
lost decade of Microsoft—two-time George Polk Award winner (and V.F.’s
newest contributing editor) Kurt Eichenwald traces the “astonishingly
foolish management decisions” at the company that “could serve as a
business-school case study on the pitfalls of success.” Relying on
dozens of interviews and internal corporate records—including e-mails
between executives at the company’s highest ranks—Eichenwald offers an
unprecedented view of life inside Microsoft during the reign of its
current chief executive, Steve Ballmer, in the August issue. Today, a
single Apple product—the iPhone—generates more revenue than all of
Microsoft’s wares combined.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/07/microsoft-downfall-emails-steve-ballmer

I know this is a Linux mailing list but I think keeping up with the big
ugly company
is a healthy thing to do. By the way on the new Windows 8 they have made
using
the ugly blocky interface mandatory rather than letting it be bypassed
by the user.
<http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-said-to-block-ability-to-boot-straight-to-desktop-in-windows-8-7000002219/

Reading up on the specs such as they are for the Surface I learned that
they have the regular
model with multicore ARM. This means that secure boot cannot be
bypassed. That stricture on
ARM appliances using Microsoft was already announced.

The Surface Pro comes with much more RAM and a 4-core i5 processor so I
guess it might
be more susceptible to alternative FOSS operating systems. I have to
wonder what sort of
battery life that might afford. But so far no specs for the display or
the battery life on any model.

What they are showing about the Surface might as well be computer
generated images.

Bobbie Sellers