[sf-lug] how to run software automatically at start up; how to make a ram disk

jim jim at systemateka.com
Mon Aug 6 15:24:01 PDT 2012

Thanks lots, Ken.
    I had to ponder some. I went to
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/11/overview-of-ramfs-and-tmpfs-on-linux/
to read about the difference between ramfs and tmpfs
(another to-the-point, clear, useful article).

    Great tip about making symlinks to spare the SSD!

    For those interested:
* ramfs creates a ram disk and will grow as one adds
files. Warning: ramfs will grow to consume all ram.
* tmpfs creates a ram disk of a certain size, and as
files grow over the ram disk size, tmpfs uses swap.

    I believe the following mount commands do what Ken's
/etc/fstab entries do, though they'll be gone after
shutdown:
# mount -t tmpfs -o size=256M tmpfs /tmp/      ; chmod -777 /tmp/
# mount -t ramfs -o size=250M ramfs /var/log/  ; chmod 755 /var/log/

    and an example symlinks command might be
# ln -s /tmp/ /var/cache/apt/archives/