[sf-lug] Mandriva's problems(as a business)

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 10:18:11 PDT 2012

I only skimmed the article to see how they treated Mageia, so I can't
say tl:dr, but it was close. As I see it, Mandrake/Mandriva forked to
Mageia, and Mageia truly carries on the legacy for Mandrake/Mandriva.
The corporate structure known as "Mandriva" that's still foundering --
OK, let me give them the benefit of the doubt: restructuring -- really
has little, if anything, to do with the forked distro, other than
begging the forked distro to "come home." To be honest, I hope the
Mageia folks continue on their course with their own distro and
"Mandriva" can start from scratch, as far as I'm concerned.

It's sort of like LibreOffice being the rightful heir to OpenOffice,
even though OpenOffice still exists, sort of.

Larry Cafiero