[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of July 16

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Jul 17 12:14:50 PDT 2012

Hello SF-LUG members,

     Usually I would wait until the next meeting notice but that will
be another 2 weeks and I might forget details by then.
     I arrived just before Mikki McGee and setup my Presario
as Maestro from the Noisebridge meeting dropped in with a big
problem.
     Jim was in a bit later then Eric came in.
     Mikki has  a problem in the the distribution installed on her
EEEPC netbook has had no upgrades for some time.  Eventually
she decided to try Kubuntu 12.04 and I made a copy of it from
the DOM for Linux Pro Magazine issue 140(on the stands now).
I made the copy because Mikki has had some problems producing
bootable disks.  My copy booted right up and I was able to offer
a bit of advice regarding the setup of docks and panels.

      I was not able to offer much help to Maestro but Jim and
Eric were more helpful.   Something affected his desktop icons
and they all disappeared into some "crack" in the file-system.
At first he had really distressing problems with booting but
by the time he got to the meeting the system had recovered
a bit.  He still has to find his missing files.

     Well after an evening of interesting discussion we left
at 8 PM and Jim gave myself, Mikki and Eric rides to their
next destinations.

     New people were running the Cafe Enchante it seemed to
me but otherwise nothing there had changed much.

     Thanks, Jim, for the ride and  thanks to the other members for
showing up.

     Oh and by the way if anyone is interested in a Mid-Western
multi-computer users group I have the latest CUCUG newsletter
the July "Status Register" and will be happy to send anyone a
copy off the list.  It is 125 KiB this month so i doubt it is suitable
for posting to the mailing list

     Bobbie Sellers