[sf-lug] Connectivity problem

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 08:56:39 PDT 2012

Here's a configuration problem I don't understand.
The network is as follows:
Internet comes in as a fixed IP on the external interface of a Linksys
WRG54G(v6) router with settings all pretty much at defaults.
Its internal interface has IP 172.24.16.254 serving a Class C
172.24.16.0/24 network.
On that network is a DreamPlug with ethernet connected
at fixed IP 172.24.16.100.
This DreamPlug also has a WiFi interface which serves as a wifi Access Point
with fixed IP 10.0.11.1 serving another Class C 10.0.11.0/24 network.
When connected to that access point with my laptop as a client I get
(by DHCP) IP 10.0.11.100 (as I should.)
>From this laptop I get the correct response to the following commands:
$ dig @127.0.0.1 linuxmafia.com +short
$ dig @10.0.11.1 linuxmafia.com +short
but
$ dig @172.24.16.254 linuxmafia.com +short
fails.
$ ping yahoo.com
provides me with yahoo's IP address but the ping does not go through and
the lap top can not make use of the internet.
I can't understand how this could be.
Has anyone any suggestions as to what might be happening or how to trouble
shoot further?
(Thanks, by the way, to Rick Moen who taught us/me on this list some years
ago how to use the dig command.)