[sf-lug] how to install linux on laptop with no cd drive?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Jul 8 11:39:46 PDT 2012

Excerpts from Michael Shiloh's message of Sun Jul 08 14:24:45 -0400 2012:
> i have an older laptop that has no cd drive and it will not boot from an
> external drive (thumbdrive or external cdrom).
>
> how can i install linux on it?
>
> i know that wubi will allow me to test linux but i want install
> completely over windows.

Reasonable way: netboot. Your laptop's Ethernet card might support it.

In the realm of crazy things, which I'd love to hear more about if
you try (should be totally harmless if they don't work):

* http://www.goodbye-windows.com/

(This "simply" adds debian-installer to NTLDR. Fairly reasonable.)

* WinKexec (written by a friend of mine): http://reboot.pro/7391/

(This jumps to a Linux kernel of your choice, from within Windows. An
amusing stunt, and honestly a reasonable option, but on the surface
totally insane.)

Okay, that's all I can think of for now. Good luck!

-- Asheesh.