[sf-lug] Fedora dealing with UEFI

Dennis Harrison dennisharrison at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:18:02 PDT 2012

On Jun 5, 2012, at 2:36 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at ubuntu.com):
>
>> Rick, you are the most factually correct and yet apparently mean
>> spirited people I know.
>
> I love this!  You get to do a completely barefaced personal attack on
> me, and feel completely self-righteous about doing it, such that you can
> call people unpleasant names and basically do extreme character
> assassination without, say, being 'mean spirited' ever sticking to _you_.
> That's a really neat trick, Grant.
>
> And meanwhile, all I actually said was that Bobbie Sellers posted
> something that was simply factally wrong, explained in detail why that
> was the case, and made no comment whatsoever about Bobbie personally,
> let alone acted in any 'mean-sprited' fashion.
>
> As it happens, people have been parroting the ITworld.com headline
> uncritically all over the Internet -- and erroneously slinging mud on
> the Fedora developers for no better reason than not bothering to read
> the details or double-check anything.  And, again, all I said about
> Bobbie doing that is that the claim itself is simply wrong (and why).
>

> I really don't know what your problem is, Grant - except that it appears
> to involve a rather extreme case of hypocrisy.  So, no, I'm pretty much
> unimpressed by this sudden outburst of scummy behaviour.
>
>> Linux & related communities are made up of people who are driven away
>> in ways large and small by exactly this kind of public exchange.
>
> Whereas gratuitous character assassination is perfectly fine and
> in fact beneficial, provided you clothe it in an aura of
> self-righteousness.  Are you really managing to convince yourself of
> that?
>
> You've pretty much thrown away my respect in a single post, for whatever
> that's worth.
>
> Don't even bother to argue, as nothing good can come of this.

Rick, you remind me of a very close friend, whom I love like a brother.  He is a genuinely nice guy, being compassionate and mostly equitable.  My friend makes people 'itchy' over and over, time after time - but he (almost always) refuses to accept any responsibility for how a particular relationship develops.  Ultimately, his behavior results in less than optimal enjoyment.  That hurts to see.

I'm not saying that you and he are the same in this regard, as I've never met you - I've only seen you on this list and read through your website.  Also, since you're not my friend, there is very little personal interest in your life and enjoyment.

So, don't take this as me jumping to a conclusion and trying to point out some life lesson to you.

I do have enough context for this question though:
Rick, do you honestly think that you're not viewed as 'mean-spirited' when exhibiting certain behavior (I'll skip the examples - which I know you can use to pick this apart, as I bet you'll grok what I'm aiming for here)?

If your answer is no, you need to pay more attention.  If your answer is anything else, you're well aware of the way people perceive you - and hopefully are OK with that.  However, know that most people won't bother to tell you how much your passive-aggressive behavior puts them off.

My guess is that you will enjoy a spirited round of cognitive dissonance reduction after reading this.  Make no mistake in this: You're rude, and I dislike your exhibited personality.

Blah blah blah,
--
Dennis