[sf-lug] My last two big problems with Ubuntu 12.04

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:34:46 PDT 2012

This week I finally addressed my last two big issues with Ubuntu 12.04 that
I had mentioned
at the Sun. meeting -- the VMwareplayer failure to compile and the NVidia
driver speed.
The VMwareplayer 4.0.3 source was not tracking some new locations for
includes in the
3.2.x kernel.  The available patch for the 4.0.2 player worked with the
4.0.3 player
after editing in the 4.0.3 version number.
My laptop uses the NVidia Geoforce Go 6150 for video, which is usually
below the acceptable
level for Unity 3D, so usually I run Unity 2D.  The NVidia 295.40 version
of the
driver supplied as "current" had a bad perfomance regression.  Even
dragging windows
lagged the cursor, so anything with high video requirements like a game was
out of the
question.  I tried to start SecondLife, but gave up when I smelled smoke.
On the other
hand, the open source noveau driver worked almost as fast as the NVidia
driver.  I was
dithering about whether to drop back to an earlier NVidia or try some later
version.
I tried the latest with the below:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
and got the 295.53 version, which I activated, rebooted, and found I could
now
run Unity 3D without complaints.  I'll probably stick with Unity 2D because
the
GPU temp of 85 deg C is warmer than I like.
Ken Shaffer