[sf-lug] Fedora dealing with UEFI

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jun 2 17:35:17 PDT 2012

Rick Moen writes:
> Additionally to that, depending on what controls the BIOS vendor and OEM
> include, the user could:
>
> 1.  Disable UEFI Secure Boot, or
> 2.  Switch the firmware to a legacy BIOS mode.

Matthew Garrett says in the blog post under discussion:

  While Microsoft have modified their original position and all x86
  Windows machines will be required to have a firmware option to
  disable this or to permit users to enrol their own keys, it's not
  really an option to force all our users to play with hard to find
  firmware settings before they can run Fedora.

What I wasn't clear on was whether "a firmware option" and "play
with hard" meant pressing ESC or F10 or whatever to go into the BIOS
menus and toggle a flag once, or something much more elaborate
(run this Windows-only .EXE that changes your firmware somehow?)
Anyone know?

	...Akkana