[sf-lug] New open source server ahead of Microsoft

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:37:27 PST 2012

My understanding is that many who use it do so primarily because it's
lighter-weight than Apache, and as a result perhaps somewhat faster; at the
very least, that seems to be the origin of the critical mass that put this
project where it is now.  It's been popular for Ruby on Rails, and perhaps
other frameworks, in which case the front-end web server is often only
providing load-balancing and/or proxying, and a built-in or specialized
server (such as mongrel) is actually serving the content, often from
multiple instances.  Ironically, I wasn't actually using it while I was at
a Rails shop (it was a bit less mature at the time).

It's pretty feature-ful by now, but still (unsurprisingly) lacks some of
the functionality of Apache.  However, I think it provides plenty of
functionality to be a good general-purpose choice.  Its configuration
scheme is arguably a little easier to pick up than Apache's, too.  I've
been using it on a cloud instance for a few months and haven't had a reason
to complain about it.