[sf-lug] filesystem for a 3TB external USB drive

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 2 16:27:31 PST 2012

Quoting Ian Sidle (ian at iansidle.com):

> > It's a general-purpose *ix OS with a GNU userspace atop a Solaris
> > kernel.
>
> Well, it is kindof both - there is the Nexenta "core" that is free &
> OSS and then there is the http://nexentastor.org/ which is
> freeware-ish up to 18TB and then licensed above it (or if you want the
> extra support).

My word 'it' (above) referred very explicitly to Nexenta the operating
system -- not to the NexentaStor embedded appliance based on Nexenta OS
with proprietary extensions.

The reason I referred Jim to Wikipedia's Nexenta OS page was to eliminate
Jim's confusion, by which he inferred that I must have been talking
about an embedded appliance when I spoke of an operating system called
Nexenta.

You aren't helping when you say 'it is kind of both'.  It isn't, and I
took care to be specific.