[sf-lug] alternatives to ubuntu?

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 12:00:31 PST 2011

If you really like Ubuntu, but don't like Unity -- and, believe me,
you have to get in line (but I'll let you cut in front of me) -- there
are other 'buntus you can use, like Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE
desktop), Xubuntu (one of my favorite distros, utilizing the Xfce
desktop) and Lubuntu (LXDE desktop).

In fact, you may not have to reinstall, as I know you can change the
desktop environment, but I don't know how exactly to do that on
Ubuntu/Debian-based distros. I know it's in the Ubuntu forums at
ubuntuforums.org (forgive me, but while I use Xubuntu, I'm really a
Fedora guy). Anyone else know where the instructions/tutorial is to
change the desktop environment on Ubuntu?

There are a lot of distros out there -- about 320-something active,
according to DistroWatch -- so take your pick.

Larry Cafiero