[sf-lug] Remote access to Microsoft Windows server

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 18:35:27 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am very happy to say that i have been able to access the Microsoft Windows
Server 2008 R2 standard from Ubuntu 10.04, by following Rick's link below!
 Thanks Rick!

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Ken Shaffer (kenshaffer80 at gmail.com):
>
> > Maybe it really is a licensing issue!
>
> That's actually why I suggested mv'ing the .rdesktop directory.
> Details here:
> http://wikis.ece.iastate.edu/it/index.php/Rdesktop_Internal_licensing_error

Here is the output:

cje at cje-desktop:~$ rdesktop 173.164.165.195 -u stolllaw\rastaman -p foobar
-g 1024x768
Autoselected keyboard map en-us
disconnect: Internal licensing error.
cje at cje-desktop:~$ rm ~/.rdesktop/licence* && rdesktop rds.otherlawfirm.com
Autoselected keyboard map en-us
WARNING: Remote desktop does not support colour depth 24; falling back to 16

While that might not look like much, it is a big deal, because I was able to
enter my username and password and get into Microsoft Windows Server 2008
R2!  woo-hoo!  For 10 years now, I have been wanting to get Microsoft
Windows to operate as a Window in Linux.  I have seen it done in various
ways, such as virtualbox, but I have never done it in a commercial setting
such as I did today.  From 2001 to 2009, I operated my own law firm, and I
used only Linux to do my work.  Then in 2009, I joined another law firm, and
I have been having to use Microsoft Windows, and I have been really chafing
under Microsoft.  Now, I no longer am forced to use an operating system that
I do not want to use; or, put another way, I can at least go directly to
GNU-Linux for some of my work, and just use Microsoft Windows for the tasks
that I am required to use it for!

The only problem is that the window in which Microsoft Windows appears is
rather small.  I have taken a screenshot that I could post somewhere, but I
seem to recall that this email list strips attachments.  Does anyone have
any suggestions as to how I could share a screenshot?

Thanks again to everyone for helping me use the operating system of my
choice.  It means a lot to me to have that freedom of choice.  :-)