[sf-lug] Remote access to Microsoft Windows server

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 5 12:43:57 PDT 2011

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> I currently work at a Microsoft Windows shop.  My employer uses some sort of
> Microsoft Windows server virtualized, so that we have the option of
> accessing our client data files through a remote server.  We have staff who
> work from home, one of whom is on a Mac, and that person is able to access
> the Microsoft Windows display from her Mac laptop.  This  technology is
> described here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

Yeah, RDP's useful.  I use /usr/bin/rdesktop, via a tiny shell script
I've created and given the same name:

$ cat /home/rmoen/bin/rdesktop
rdesktop -u rick -g 1280x1024 -a 16 -k en-us 10.92.6.52 &
$

The options are:
username = rick
graphics resolution = 1280x1024
at colour level of = 16 bits/pixel (aka 65536 colours)
keyboard map = English, US

'10.92.6.52' is the target IP address, and the '&' backgrounds the
script and gives me my prompt back.

> Under Ubuntu 10.04, I used the Terminal Server Client program that appears
> in my Applications > Internet pull down menu in the top left hand corner.
>  It was able to give me the graphical user splash screen where I entered my
> username and password.

Eh.  I personally never really cared for 'Terminal Server Client'.  By
the way, the Ubuntistas are going to replace that thing using Remmina as
of their next release.