[sf-lug] Microsoft trying to shut out dual-booting machines with UEFI...

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Sep 26 09:36:05 PDT 2011

vincent polite writes:
> People still Dual-Boot? Why? Using a Virtual Machine? It's less messy. Apple is
> the only with issues over it.

If you know how to take a Windows 7 OEM install and make it run in a
virtual machine under Linux, please post the instructions somewhere
(and send me a link!)  There are a lot of people trying to do that
and I couldn't find anyone who'd found a reliable way. Of course, it
probably won't support aero since VMs don't handle graphics cards
well enough; but even without aero it would be useful.

But, dual-booting aside, my understanding of the issue Matthew Garrett
brought up is that it would prevent Linux from booting at all,
whether or not there's also a Windows boot present. If grub doesn't
have the special Microsoft-approved keys, then you won't even get as
far as the grub screen.

	...Akkana