[sf-lug] Interesting Python projects

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 13:39:36 PDT 2011

Some of the Python-oriented among you may appreciate the following links to
projects (which I discussed briefly with Jim at today's meeting).

GAIuS - General Artificial Intelligence using Software

http://gaius-framework.sourceforge.net/

A framework for developing intelligent agents.  Aside from being founded on
what I consider to be a very good base (in terms of assumptions and
approach, e.g. use of model-free methods), it abstracts away the need for
the developer to even understand what it's doing under the covers.  The idea
is that a developer only needs to understand the domain in which they are
working well enough to model it within the framework's api/context (which is
basically understanding the range of inputs and desired outputs), not how
artificial intelligence or machine learning work.

Tornado web server

http://www.tornadoweb.org/
http://blog.perplexedlabs.com/2010/07/01/pythons-tornado-has-swept-me-off-my-feet/

Employs a rather unique single-threaded model that is reputed to be really,
really fast.  Looks pretty simple to use.  I haven't used it yet, but heard
about it from someone who has used it in a production context, and had only
good things to say for it (and the person in the second link seems pretty
enthused as well).