[sf-lug] Adding Scripts to Bash

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 6 18:32:15 PDT 2011

Quoting Eric W. Rasmussen (ericwrasmussen at gmail.com):

> A while back I went to a LUG meeting and the fine folks helped me
> add a script to my terminal that activated once it opened.

Which terminal program?  Are you talking about GNOME Terminal?  (I'm
guessing you are.  Skip to 2nd paragraph from end, if so.)

I'd guess you're probably running the GNOME edition of Linux Mint,
which is the original and best known version.  However, FYI, there are
also Mint editions based on Xfce, LXDE, and KDE4.  Those are all Ubuntu
variants.  There's also Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) with either
GNOME or Xfce desktops.

No matter _what_ desktop environment you're running (if any), you're
actually able with trivial effort to run pretty much any X11 terminal
program:

o xterm
o rxvt
o GNOME terminal
o Aterm
o Gtkterm
o Konsole
o Xfce Terminal
o Wterm
o Mrxvt

Me, I always just use xterm.  But Your Mileage May Differ<tm>.

But I'm guessing that you're using GNOME Terminal, and are going to want
to create and set as default (within it) a 'profile' (Edit menu,
Profiles), then go to the Title and Command tab, and specify what
shell commands to automatically execute whenever a GNOME Terminal
instance is opened using that profile.

You might want to create a 'skype' profile and not set it as default,
since it's likely that you're also going to want to run terminals that
do _not_ perform Skype operations -- but suit yourself.