[sf-lug] cookies in Ubuntu

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 6 02:11:58 PDT 2011

Quoting Ehud Kaldor (ehud.kaldor at gmail.com):

> to add some to Rick's recommendations for plugins in the slides (if
> privacy is indeed the topic at hand), two more that i found recently,
> for firefox:
>
>     ghostery - tells you what tracking authorities are tracking you for
>     each site you go to, and allows you to block them.
>
>     certwatch - tells you who issued the certificate of any new ssl site
>     you go to, and tells you if it changed, subsequently. good against
>     certificate hijacking.

Hey, thanks, I've been intending to re-find Certwatch, having heard
about it quite some time ago, thought it sounded like a wonderful idea,
but failed to make a note about its name or location.

Will have a look at ghostery, though my gut reaction is that what it
promises to do is rendered pretty much irrelevant by the action of
AdBlock Plus, NoScript, and Beef Taco.  That is, once you've finessed
tracking and made it not work, do you really have significant interest
in hearing about the trackers and having additional options to disable
what the other tools have already caused to not work?

Additionally, I note that Ghostery is proprietary software.  People
retrieving copies are prohibited from redistributing it, creating and
distributing modifications or derivative works, and are even prohibited
from reverse-engineering it.  (Usually, companies doing that sort of
free-of-charge but you may not modify or redistribute licensing intend to
further restrict later versions if it catches on, and ratchet up the
restrictions over time.  See, for example, BitKeeper:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Apps/vcs.html#bk )

By contrast, Certwatch 1.1 is open source under Mozilla Public Licence
version 1.1.