[sf-lug] Ubuntu 11.04

Ehud Kaldor ehud.kaldor at gmail.com
Sun May 1 17:04:04 PDT 2011

a non graphical insight: i have a separate boot partition (~0.5GB) and root
(~18GB). when i set an encrypted partition for /, it went through the
installation but would not boot and drop my to busybox, even after providing
my passphrase. it happened several times, and once i stopped encrypting it
managed the initial boot after install.

and a graphical insight: though Unity manages to run after installing the
highly experimental open graphics driver, the boot graphics do not work.
from BIOS to GDM i get colored vertical lines, some flickering and nothing
else. this is a Dell Latitude E6400 with Nvidia.

and some observations: the 'additional drivers' does not even offer b43 as
an alternative to WL, though it has not caved in since last night, which is
impressive compared to Maverick.
anyone had any experience with dual screens? will try for the first time
tomorrow.

the way i see it, F15 is released at the end of this month, so Natty has
this grace period for me to try it out before i D-hop.

Ehud