[sf-lug] Ubuntu 11.04

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Apr 30 19:16:53 PDT 2011

jim writes:
> will be to 12.04), but it strikes me as possible
> to jettison unity and install gnome (i.e. don't
> choose ubuntu classic).

Actually the "classic" Gnome2 desktop is right there. Choose
"Ubuntu Classic" in the session box of the gdm login screen.
Or "Ubuntu Classic (no effects)" if you have an older video card.

Or you can install KDE, or Gnome3 (if you add an extra repository),
or any of a hundred different excellent window managers -- I'm typing
this under 11.04 in Openbox.

I can understand not liking Unity, or thinking Canonical made the
wrong decision in making it the default (I do) ... but using Ubuntu
doesn't mean you have to use their defaults.

On the side thread of upgrading vs. installing: I always keep at
least one extra root partition, and when it's time to upgrade, I
copy the currently running root to another partition, boot into that
partition, make sure it works, then upgrade it, leaving the old one
intact in case anything goes wrong. Generally I find Ubuntu ugprades
work very well, but of course little things always break (printing,
this time around) and you might need to boot into the old version.
http://shallowsky.com/blog/linux/install/upgrading-without-risk.html

	...Akkana