[sf-lug] Ubuntu count down banner design contest

Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 19 02:41:04 PDT 2011

FYI for those artistically inclined.

Grant

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthew Nuzum <matthew.nuzum at canonical.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Subject: [ubuntu-web] Count down banner design contest
To: Ubuntu Web Presence Team <ubuntu-website at lists.canonical.com>,
ubuntu-art <ubuntu-art at lists.ubuntu.com>

Ubuntu 11.04 is just around the corner!
As in the past, we'd like to create a new countdown banner to share
across the web. If you would like to make a highly visible
contribution to Ubuntu, this is your chance.
Just shortly after the Beta launch we'd like to launch a new countdown
banner that says something like "28 more days until Ubuntu 11.04" Each
day the banner will decrease by one until the release day, April 28th.
On the 28th it will say something like "It's almost here" (or similar.
Then when we do the release the slide will change to "it's here!"

How can you help?
Create a graphic representing what you think the countdown should look
like. It is not necessary to create an entire set of images. Instead,
do a couple to demonstrate your idea. The community and Canonical
staff will choose the official banners and maybe give some guidance in
case a change is needed to polish it up. Lets aim to get submissions
in by Monday, April 4th. But don't wait until the end, release early,
release often, so they say.
Guidelines
Detailed here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/NattyCountdownBanner
but in essence:
180px wide by 150px high. No PHP or flash. We'd like to make a static,
plain image available but if the community would like to make an
animated or interactive, iframe based image using js and static
content we will gladly consider it. The community seems to have
enjoyed the animated banner from the 9.04 release cycle. (I know I
did)
Starting at the point of Beta Ubuntu changes from the code name of
"Natty Narwhal" to "Ubuntu 11.04" it would probably be inappropriate
to over-emphasize narwhal graphics.
We have some other opportunities to contribute. If you would like to
make a Facebook app, that would be awesome, ours is now out-dated. We
could do more! Also, I think it would be great to design an Android
Widget for user's home screens. We don't have to do these but we
certainly can!
Please attach your suggestions to the wiki page listed above. If you
have questions or would like to discuss this, please email the Web
Presence Team mailing list[1] or hop onto the IRC chat room,
#ubuntu-website on freenode.
I can't wait to see your ideas!
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin