[sf-lug] Apache & UBU configurations

jim jim at well.com
Fri Mar 18 16:26:58 PDT 2011

cool! great questions.

    as to swap, my incomplete answer for you is a single 1G
swap partition is what i have:
sda1 on /
sda2 swap
sda3 on /home/
    Red Hat has some docs that claims that over 2GB is
useless swap space. if you really need lots of swap space,
have multiple <= 2GB swap partitions.
    I've never had a problem with a single 1G swap partition.

    as to /var/ i used to use /var/ for a separate partition,
but learned (sadly, as usual) not to do that: /var/ stores
system files that may be needed unpredictably and
immediately. should the filesystem for /var/ be unavailable,
there's no predicting what bad things might happen. i don't
like pain at all, am highly avoidant, and now make sure /var/
is part of the  /  filesystem.
    i no longer bother using /var/log/ or /var/www/ for
separate mount points (not on my laptop, for sure). you can
set /var/www/ as a separate mount point with no risk of
system functionality if the filesystem were unavailable.
    in olden tymes /var/www/ was the commonly used directory
for web site storage (hence a separate partition/file system).
i understand that /opt/ or /srv/ are now the new, modern, hip
directories to use, and having them as mount points makes
sense.

    as to the size for the  /  filesystem, i am overly liberal,
i'm sure, but that's due to my natural paranoid leanings. the
fear is that i might add more software that has more libs and
docs and whatever that loads up storage. depends on how much
more software you expect to add.
    note that /usr/share/ has a lot of stuff in it, and none
of it is critical to system functioning, so that's a candidate
mount point to reduce the use of the storage you've allocated
for the / tree.

    if you're in the more-patitions-is-good-paritioning camp,
consider using /usr/local/ as a mount point.