[sf-lug] libdvdcss/libdvdcss2 xRe: Are there really such frequent updates to Firefox?

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Mar 16 13:31:57 PDT 2011

On 03/16/2011 11:29 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
> [libdvdcss/libdvdcss2:]
>
>> I tried that early on in my Linux use but had problems that convinced
>> me to leave that to the more knowledgeable.
> 'Problems'?  It's a _library_, man -- and a highly standardised one, at
> that!  There aren't 'problems'; you just plunk it on your hard drive.
> Apps that need it, use it, automatically via standard dynamic library
> calls without you needing to even know what's happening.
>
> You fetch the .deb or .rpm or whatever, do a bog-standard package
> install, and you're all done.  Not brain surgery.  VLC, Xine, Ogle,
> MPlayer, etc. use it automatically if present.

     You don't seem to grasp how dumb or ignorant of
such matters an old lady can be who never took computer
science because there were no personal computers until
I was an adult.  Half the time I only know what I am doing
because I have done it over and over again and began
to figure out some few matters.  The other half of the
time I have no clue at all.  I am just following some
better informed person's recipe just like I do when I
cook strange dishes.

     I looked at the sites that had the material apparently at
the time but it seemed difficult to get the material and it
was not supplied in the forms you mention.  There seemed
to be some legal problems over its use as well.

     No one I was talking to at the SF-LUG at the time seemed
to know much about installing and using it but perhaps it
was my failure to communicate.  Perhaps it comes from
having lived long enough to remember things that other
  younger people were (un) fortunate enough to never
have lived through.

     later
     bliss