[sf-lug] directory tree organization question

Jason Turner jturner at nonzerosums.org
Sun Mar 13 13:53:06 PDT 2011

It's [meta] information mgmt questions like this that reveal just how
confused I've become.  Once upon a time, I might have had a strong opinion
about this but have been bitten every which route I traveled so...

My first thought was similar to Bill's, I think.  Do both!  If you can
"afford it"(extra disk space, filesystem limits on inodes, certain disk
operations being a little(or a lot) more expensive).  Specifically, I
think I'd put "OLD" in subdirs in the physical disk and create a top level
/OLD "virtual" directory with symlinks.  That just appeals to some
possibly irrational sense of organization to me.  Perhaps you'd prefer to
go the other way?

But you've already said that this approach "doesn't resolve the naming
strategic question".  And I'm not sure I follow you.  If you did decide
that you wanted a copy of OLD on removable media, then no problem in my
"expensive" setup, right?  I just presume disks are getting bigger if you
wonder why I'm nonchalant about incurring that expense.

I think I'll stop digging my hole.  I'm thinking about updating from my
getting-a-little-long-in-tooth G4 laptop so whatever you decide, let us
know!

--
jt