[sf-lug] picture organization Bill and Dog

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Feb 6 09:54:12 PST 2011

Frantisek Apfelbeck writes:
> I'm naming each file which makes it through selection as
> "cold_swimmers_iceberg_fishing_valdez_alaska_fa04072009.jpg" I generally go in
> the description from exact action to general activity, location and date. Now
> the problem which was described in the thread already is, what shall I do if I
> want to make a new presentation, I want to find 5 pictures of see horizon in my
> databases and I do not want to go folder through folder, file name by file name.
> Is there some way or system, how to keep my naming style as I've described it
> and being able to quickly find the key words in the names of interest. Would
> terminal "find" or whatever else work best, some other options? Preferably no
> database involved, terminal would be best because it can work on multiple
> platforms and it is independent.

If you have "locate" set up on your system, you already have a
database of filenames on your system, and all you have to do is

locate swimmers | grep alaska

if you want to find all your photos that show swimmers in Alaska.

You can do the same thing with find, but that does go file by file,
folder by folder, and it takes much longer. locate is almost instant.

locate is a great app -- if you haven't used it, I highly recommend
trying it (it's packaged as "mlocate" on Ubuntu; I don't know what
the package named "locate" is or if it's still maintained). It's so much
faster and easier than find when all you need is a simple filename search.

	...Akkana