[sf-lug] Ubuntu User wannabe!

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 13:35:32 PST 2011

Molly,
I concur with Jim about running off the live CD or a live USB, which you can
create from the CD and have some update capability (like drivers, your
config choices, etc.).  I doubt there's anything on the HP Tools partition
Linux needs, but since it does give you (or the person doing maintenance on
the machine) some hooks into the BIOS, I would keep it.  If they put the
partition at the end of the disk, not even much space will be lost.  Grub
will probably offer it as a boot choice.
  I never Tell AT&T or Comcast I'm running Linux, but I connect to both with
no problems.  When a Comcast installer asked for a laptop, I did run windows
for him, but after having trouble with IE, he switched to firefox, so I
guess Linux firefox would have done what he needed. (Anyway, my Linksys
router plugged into Comcast is running Linux, so they definitely have no
problem talking to Linux). I hear AT&T's mobile dongles need to be
initialized from a Windows box, but they run just fine under Linux and
NetworkManager.