[sf-lug] Grub 1 loading stage read error

jim jim at well.com
Mon Jan 3 13:46:34 PST 2011

   briefly, the process is that BIOS does its thing
and then begins the boot procedure: read the Master
Boot Record and load the little bit of boot code
that's in the MBR.
   that little bit of code simply does what's
needed to start loading a file that is the first
stage of the boot loading process. the code in the
first stage finds the second stage, loads that,
and the second stage presents the grub menu or
whatever grub is configured to do.

   seems one of two problems:
* the code in the MBR is horked
* the file that has the first stage of code has
  been moved or deleted or horked.