[sf-lug] Hi; about that printer you got for your setup?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Dec 13 09:55:17 PST 2010

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

> Scanners: BAD! I have an Epson scanner that I'd like to put into use
> but I've been unsuccessful. There was an article about this subject in
> Linux Journal recently but that didn't help.

The key is to research the driver support in SANE, preferably in its
current stable version rather than just the development (git) version,
_before_ acquiring hardware -- and not buy bottom-end, difficult, or
eccentric (e.g., all-in-one designs, ones connecting via parallel ports,
serial ports, Firewire ports, or proprietary cards, etc.)  and therefore
poorly supported equipment.  Oddly enough, similar criteria apply to
printers and other gear, too.

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html