[sf-lug] Hi; about that printer you got for your setup?

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 09:14:32 PST 2010

Good to hear from you, Mikki.
I'm not sure about what you meant with regard to hard drives but my experience with printers and scanners is as follows.
Printers: I've currently got two running, one on each of my two home networks. Both are laser printers and both are network printers. CUPS is good at dealing with IPP, the Internet Printing Protocol, and I had no trouble setting them up. The CUPS web interface walks the user through the configuration process and selects appropriate defaults in most if not all instances. A new release (as of probably a year or more ago, actually 'discovers' network printers and is extremely easy to use.
It's been a long time since I've hooked up a USB connected printer but as I remember, the process was not too difficult.
Scanners: BAD! I have an Epson scanner that I'd like to put into use but I've been unsuccessful. There was an article about this subject in Linux Journal recently but that didn't help.
One final work about Laser Printers: I got one for $50 from a guy in Mountainview that takes them out of offices when they upgrade equipment so he has tons of second hand printers to sell. I might be able to find his name if you need it but Christian Einfeldt might know off the top of his head since he got the guy to donate to his school(s.)
Good luck,
ak

a_kleider at yahoo.com