[sf-lug] Toshiba Satellite M645-S4080 backlit keyboard

Micah Lee micahflee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 17:50:14 PDT 2010

I just bought a new amazing laptop full of 8GB of RAM, 4 cores, and lots
of other goodies. It's a Toshiba Satellite M645-S4080, and it has a nice
backlit keyboard that works great in windows, but doesn't work in linux
with ACPI enabled. I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10.

Here's a thread where a lot of people are having the same problem, but
no one has found a solution:

When I boot with the flag acpi=off, the keyboard works great. But only 1
of my 4 cores gets recognized and the keyboard keys to adjust the screen
brightness stop working, and possibly other stuff too.

I've also tried booting with a bunch of other ACPI-related flags:
acpi=ht, acpi=noirq, pci=noacpi, pnpacpi=off, noapic, nolapic. None of
them make the backlit keyboard work, only acpi=off.

I know hardly anything about ACPI. Is it possible for me to enable it,
but just disable the part that's preventing the keyboard from working
right? I've looked through the repository for ACPI packages but nothing
that has anything to do with keyboards. Any ideas?

I'd be glad to bring this laptop to a LUG meeting too if anyone thinks
they can make it work.

Thanks,
Micah