[sf-lug] linux media (music) player with web server control

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:25:33 PDT 2010

Hi Michael,

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Michael Shiloh
<michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't want it to come out of  my laptop, I want it to come out of the
> audio system I have plugged into my server.

I am setting up exactly the same thing for a coffee shop in town. I
agree with the poster who said to check out VNC. Our server will be
running Ubuntu, and I am planning to run TightVNC server. Many free
VNC clients are available for all platforms.

An alternative I have read a little about is using the NX protocol
instead of VNC. There is a free NX server from Google. However the
advantage is mostly on high-latency Internet links, so for a local
network VNC is probably just as good or better.

http://code.google.com/p/neatx/

If VNC is too slow you might want to just SSH in and use a text-mode
player; I had good luck with MP3Blaster in the past, although you have
to learn the interface, you can't just guess at it.

http://mp3blaster.sourceforge.net/#screenshots

If you really want a web interface I don't know of one out of the box,
however I think you could write a wrapper around mplayer with
Python/Perl and implement a CGI or Ajax Web UI. Sounds like a fun
project!