[sf-lug] found discarded older computer - any interest

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 11:23:30 PDT 2010

Thanks, Sameer. At the risk of getting me on a soapbox, there are versions
of Linux that will run on PPC architecture that are still out there, as I
mentioned earlier, and while PPC may be an architecture used by less than 1
percent of Linux users (a stat I seem to have read somewhere) despite the
fact it's a great processor and works fantastically on hardware that won't
seem to die (i.e., Apple's New World hardware).

As an aside, while I was a MacMarine in the '90s, I remember fondly the
PowerComputing "attitude" of "fighting back for the Mac" -- with booth
denizens at Macworld dressed in fatigues -- during the time Apple was
circling the wagons and when it was completely feasible it might go under.

Larry Cafiero