[sf-lug] found discarded older computer - any interest

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Jul 26 11:12:34 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com> wrote:
> If history serves, the Power Computing hardware has a PowerPC processor, and
> distros are sprinting away from that architecture at a world-record pace
> (sadly, if I may editorialize).
>
> Just a caveat for those thinking of giving it a home. Meanwhile, I've had
> the best luck with Debian, OpenSUSE and Fedora on PowerPC hardware, and
> there's always Yellow Dog (which is called something else, now that they put
> all their proverbial eggs in the PS3 basket).
>
> Larry Cafiero
>
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Bobbie Sellers <bliss at sfo.com> wrote:
>>
>>    Doing laundry (facility in building basement)
>>   Then I went to the basement and found a discarded complete Power
>> Computing
>> Apple with modem, and keyboard and a Kensington trackball.  That trackball
>> works.
>>        If any one is interested let me know and I will try to keep this
>> stuff together.
>>
>>    later
>>    bliss

I do have a PowerPC iBook with 256MB RAM that I use as a Asterisk
server with Ubuntu 10.04 PPC This is not "official" but it still lives
at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/lucid/release/

FAQ on Ubuntu PPC - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems