[sf-lug] pdns-recursor

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 23 17:27:18 PDT 2010

Alex, just an afterthought about Unbound and similar recursive
DNS nameservers:

One of the interesting points of comparison among recursive daemons is
binary footprint.  I just got some data on this from Sam Trenholme,
who's just released a new entry, named "Deadwood" (beta, so not quite
production-ready)

dnscache (stock version):  45,016 bytes
Deadwood 2.9.01 beta:  64,418 bytes
PowerDNS Recursor:  503,860 bytes
Unbound:  1,745,920 bytes
BIND9:  4,055,552 bytes

This is one of the reasons why I and many other sysadmins have a
troubled relationship with BIND9 ;-> , and why I've been an advocate for
PowerDNS recursor and Unbound on the recursive side, and for NSD where
one must do authoritative service.  (Authoritative service is when you
are serving up a domain's DNS content for yourself or a friend, where
it's your or your friend's domain.)

Here's information about Sam's beta:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html#deadwood