[sf-lug] Turning off the bell in the X Window System

John Magolske b79net at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:24:09 PDT 2010

While using the Chrome browser and back-spacing through the url field,
a loud BEEP is emitted when I hit the left end of the field. This
becomes a significant annoyance when my laptop is plugged into a
stereo and I get an incredibly annoying square wave coming though the
speakers. For some reason this is proving to be a more challenging
problem to solve that I thought it would be.

I tried  `xset b off` and ` $ xset -b` to no avail.

I'd really like to set up my machine so that it never makes any
such beeping sound ever. Ok, well maybe when the battery is at a
dangerously low level. I've accomplished this in the console with
`setterm -blength 0`, and would like to do the same in X.

This is Debian Linux, using the Fluxbox WM, on a ThinkPad X40.

Any suggestions much appreciated,

John

--
John Magolske