[sf-lug] tar license plate

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 26 06:37:16 PDT 2010

Naw, the old way would be:
tar xf -
File would be given as non-option argument (or - for standard input),
x conflicts with c, so wouldn't use both,
none of that newfangled z option stuff,
and v is far too chattily annoying - particularly on the
hardcopy terminal, so it would generally be avoided.
Input would be in lowercase, unless one was stuck on terminal that
only does uppercase, in which case,
stty lcase
comes in very handy - and login/getty would typically
set that by default upon login if the login and password was
entered with no lowercase letters - for many/most versions that's still
the case for backwards compatibility - try entering one's login and
password all in uppercase (if there are any actual uppercase letters in such,
precede them with a backslash (\)), and watch what happens.

references/excerpts:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/v7vol1.pdf