[sf-lug] Found an Asentia J10

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 20 16:20:40 PDT 2010

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at sfo.com):

> Have you heard of BasicLinux?
> Runs in as little as 3 MiB another version demands 12 MiB.
>
> http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/

Yes, of course.  The CABAL library used to have a copy, but there was no
demand for that floppy-oriented microdistribution.

>     Easy to find the simms; harder to find the $ for them.
>     Battery costs the same so I won't do too much unless that battery
> has some life left. :-)

So, you see my point.

>     I am not asking about 2010 systems which I know take a lot more
> room.  I am talking ancient versions with ancient requirements as
> have BasicLinux setups.

Ancient versions have highly exploitable security bugs -- even if you
would not be horribly frustrated with the limitations of, say, the
BrowseX Web browser, and even if you could make it tolerable in 32 MB
total RAM, let alone 8 MB.

Decade+ -old releases of Netscape Navigator for Linux?  Not only would
those be security nightmares, but also they segfault when exposed to
modern Web pages.  They couldn't even handle tables without segfaulting
in 2001, Bobbie.  I remember.  In 2010, forget it.

>     I think a way could be found to put this into hands that need such
> a tool whether locally or overseas.

Or you could spend the same amount of time and money doing something
actually useful.  Your call.

>     Well that is folly.  I mean the dumping.

It's reality.  (See .signature block.)