[sf-lug] network laser printer

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 7 12:56:11 PDT 2010

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

> I'm looking for a network printer for use on a network of linux computers.
> It'll get only light use and color is not necessary.
>
> Does anyone know what would be a good currently available candidate
> for the job?

I'd give the exact same advice I've given before.
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2010q1/007599.html

That is:

1.  Jot down particulars of a half-dozen recent local
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/ offers for used B&W laser or LED printers.
2.  Research them on http://www.openprinting.org/printers .
3.  Pick one that seems to have what you need, and avoids the
usual pitfalls (GDI/Windows-dependent underbuilt crud, lack of
sufficient RAM, lack of needed interfaces, bad open source driver
support on account of either obscurity or a too-new chipset or an
uncooperative manufacturer).

The printer that was offered in March via the above-cited Craigslist
post (asking price = $50) seems like a decent baseline:  ethernet, PCL5e
and 6, PostScript Level 3, 32MB RAM provided with expansion possible,
USB, 21 pages per minute nominal.  That's a _really nice_ printer for
any OS, and was only $50.

People seem to always recommend expensive new printers, sometimes with
questionable open source support, when this question gets asked.  I
really think intelligently selected used printers are a much, much
better idea.