[sf-lug] multiple dns lookups for one page?

Nathan Hoover nathan at foo-o-rama.com
Thu Apr 15 12:12:25 PDT 2010

I think I have something here, although I am still not sure why Firefox is
taking so long to do what should be a local (in-process to FF) cache lookup
for DNS.

I compared the HTTP headers from my site that's behaving more sensibly to
the site you mentioned, and I noticed in all the subsequent requests that
are doing an additional DNS lookup, the "Connection:" HTTP header is being
set to "close" rather than "keep-alive" - thus initiating a new TCP
connection, an expensive prospect DNS lookup or no. (In fact, as I write
this, it might be that Firebug incorrectly reports some of the connection
overhead time as DNS lookup even if no actual lookup is being done).
Certainly, on my system, a remote lookup (even on our corporate DNS system)
didn't happen - I observed the whole network stream with Wireshark.

I hope this helps!

Nathan