[sf-lug] AT&T DSL in Marin

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 21 13:21:53 PDT 2010

So,

did you try some web/Internet/list searches first? ;-)

Also, useful hint - when the provider/vendor/... has official position
of "we don't support Linux", calling them up and saying, "Hi, I'm trying
to get my Linux ..." - that's usually not the most useful approach.
Often when they say "we don't support Linux", what they mean is, "it may
or may not work fine with Linux, but we don't want to spend significant
resources supporting that, but we're fine with taking your money if you
get it to work with Linux or whatever - we're not intentionally
Linux-hostile, we just want maximum profit, minimum (support, etc.)
costs."  I.e. "'You' figure it out, we don't want any significant
added costs of helping customers figure it out." ... and perhaps "Oh,
yeah, if you or someone figures it out, maybe we'll put up a web page,
you know, saying 'we don't support it, but some folks reported this to
be rather useful: ....'".

references/excerpts:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2010q1/007388.html

http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2010q1/007589.html