[sf-lug] sf-lug:building but missing dependencies

jim jim at well.com
Sun Mar 21 12:26:09 PDT 2010

   i don't know xandros, so i can't help much
if at all. the info in your email is good stuff.
if you can identify each item in the list of
missing dependencies, try using whatever xandros
uses as a package manager to get each of the
items.
   i don't use emacs, so i don't know its
dependencies. i believe there's some utility
(command) that shows a dependency tree, but i
can't recall exactly; maybe someone else can.
   i suppose you've explored the emacs home
directory
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
   if you're considering downloading a tarball
or getting emacs without using the xandros
package manager, give some extra tho't: if you
bypass the package manager, you have the risk
of downloading libraries in that way, and the
package manager is likely to overwrite your
libs the next time it finds a need to update
that lib. you're also bound to maintain the
program without the package manager. you can
engineer some protection by installing your
tarball and any of its required libs by putting
it all in some dedicated directory tree, e.g.
/usr/local/emacs or some such.

   i have no doubt that others reading this
will have corrections and improvements.
jim