[sf-lug] sf-lug:building but missing dependencies

Tony ccahua at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 01:29:59 PDT 2010

Hi,

I went down a lil rabbit hole and wonder if I got permanently stuck.

I'm trying to get emacs 23.1 on my eeepc 701 with stock custom xandros.

The eee forums had a few pointers [1] but I seem to be missing a few
dependencies [2] despite adding and pinning. [3]
I then tried to compile from source [4] but when I got to >make install  got
a missing piece.[5]

Checking the etc/PROBLEMS file, the only clue suggests reinstalling GCC but
i specified -nox so that doesn't make sense??

I did try this method installing dependencies [6] and using 23.1 from gnu,
but also was not able to get it working either.

My last option is to install a new distro in hopes it is this eee xandros
fluke.
I checked and there are so many 'ubuntus' for eeepc, it's swimmingly
confusing but i'll need to pick up some flash drives first.

Learning linux is certainly challenging!

Anyone know of other options to get the missing bits?

Any advice, pointers, links or suggestions much obliged.

Best,
tony

[1] http://emacs.orebokech.com/

[2] The following packages have unmet dependencies
  emacs-snapshot-nox: Depends: emacs-snapshot-bin-common (= 1:20100318-1)
but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: libgpm2 (>= 1.20.4) but it is not installable
                      Depends: libncurses5 (>= 5.7+20100313) but 5.5-5 is to
be installed
                      PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.14.21) but 1.13.25 is to be
installed
E: Broken packages
[3] http://wiki.eeeuser.com/addingxandrosrepos
[4] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html#Installing-Emacs
[5] makeinfo is missing - cannot build manuals
make: *** [info] Error 1
[6]
http://ryepup.unwashedmeme.com/blog/2008/02/08/compiling-emacs22-on-my-eeepc/